You may have thought that you were done with the year 2017, but when it comes to your taxes, that is not the case. Here at QualiTax, our tax consultants are getting busy helping people just like you prepare to file their taxes. It’s never too early to gather all the information you will need to file your taxes this spring, and in part one of this multi-part series, we will go over some of the documents you will need in order to quickly and efficiently file your taxes.

If you are looking to take the stress out of your taxes, why not hire a professional? At QualiTax, we have more than 38 years of experience when it comes to tax preparation, and we are more than happy to lend a hand. However, our services don’t stop there! Whether you’re looking for help with tax preparation, bookkeeping, or small business accounting, QualiTax is your go-to tax strategist for the Annapolis area. Contact us today to schedule a consultation, or give us a call at 410-346-5431!

Filing Your Taxes

When the previous year ends and the new year begins, many people start to stress about their taxes. The best strategy to avoid stress when filing your taxes is to make sure you have all the documents you need before you begin. This is especially helpful if you have hired someone to help you file your taxes. Our experts at QualiTax have put together a list of the most essential documents you will need when you sit down to start the process of filing your taxes.

Personal Data

When you fill out your tax forms, there will be sections where you need to fill out personal information, including your name, address, phone number, and social security number. You will also need to fill out personal information for your family members (spouse, children, etc.), as well as information on your child care provider if you have one. It’s important to have the necessary documents on hand, such as the social security numbers of your spouse and children. You will also need either the SSN or tax I.D. of your child care provider.

As you are filling out the tax forms, it is essential that you review each number to make sure it is correct. Incorrect names and SSNs are some of the most common mistakes people make when filling out their taxes.

Employment and Income Data

In order to accurately calculate your tax refund, it’s important that the government has all of your income and employment information. This information includes:

  • W-2 forms
  • Pensions and annuities
  • Tax refunds and unemployment compensation: Form 10099-G
  • Partnership and trust income
  • Miscellaneous income including rent: Form 1099-MISC
  • Jury duty pay
  • Alimony received
  • Prizes and awards
  • Gambling and lottery winnings
  • Unemployment compensation
  • Scholarships and fellowships
  • State and local income tax refunds

It’s normal for some of these items to not apply to everyone. For example, not everyone will have lottery winnings to account for.

Health Insurance Information

Certain tax reforms have changed the information on health insurance for 2018 taxes, however, you will still need this information when filing your 2017 taxes. It’s important to have your health insurance information and the proper forms on hand when you are filling out your taxes. Failure to fill out the correct information may result in a penalty. The information you need about your health insurance for your 2017 taxes includes the following:

  • Existing plan information (policy numbers, etc.)
  • All 1095-A forms from marketplace providers (if you have purchased insurance through a marketplace)
  • Records of credits and/or advance payments received from the Premium Tax Credit (if claiming)
  • If you are claiming an exemption, you will need your unique Exemption Certificate Number


At QualiTax, we understand that the process of filing your taxes is stressful, and we have only listed a few areas in which you need your information. As expert tax strategists, we recommend filing your taxes as soon as possible to provide peace of mind and avoid as much stress as possible. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact our tax consultants at QualiTax. We would be more than happy to provide you with any of our expert tax services. Call now to schedule an appointment, and keep an eye out for part two of this multi-part series!